Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What to make for dinner?

If you are ever on the way home and wondering "what should I make for dinner," I hope you have a grocery store close by (in my case Doris' Italian Market).

Remember you are cooking for tonight; so why pick up the pre-made chemically engineered boxed dinners? In the same amount of time you can put something together you will be able to eat for the next few days, and feel good about it. I know a lot of you are thinking, I DO NOT WANT TO COME HOME, COOK, CLEAN, Blah blah blah... The whole idea is too cook for a more than one day and get creative with leftovers. I have taken left over chicken and made quesadillas, sandwiches, soups, etc.

Back to the task at hand; stop into your local market more so than your grocery store, and you will find produce that needs to be sold RIGHT NOW! At Doris' they always have a food service rack/ cart on the floor of the produce section; where you will find produce slightly bruised, sort of wrinkly, but $0.99 cents!!!!

Now take this new found knowledge and use it...in the old country/ about 50 yrs ago our grandparents use to buy fresh food and use it through out the week. In fact on Sunday Italian families would use up the rest of the food and have Sunday feast. Hence the awesome meat sauce, sourdough breads, meatballs, etc. Food is reusable so long as you allow it to be...make sure you stretch your food rather than just your dollar. And if you really do not like leftovers, get a dog...or make a compost.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found my blog and vice versa! This post totally speaks to me as a cook and a mom and a blogger I struggle to find time to plan/buy/execute meals daily. My biggest downfall is doing a POWER grocery shop on Sunday and throwing half of the stuff out by the following week. Wintertime for soups was a good way to save rotting veggies from the trash but now that we have hit summer I'm trying to buy less and more frequently.

    ReplyDelete

search bar

Custom Search